Monday, October 28, 2013

New Space Marine Chapter: The Dusk Wraiths

When the new Space Marines Codex was released, I was intrigued by the possibility of six different Chapters within one book. My interest was further piqued by the Ravenguard's ability to scout the entire army. I have played Chaos for the last four years, and outflanking my Chosen has always been a favourite tactic. It was even cooler in the new Chaos dex when I discovered I could outflank my plague marines with Huron. The Ravenguard take this to a new level though by allowing you to scout everything! No longer am I waiting to do a 4x melta attack in my opponent's rear lines. In my first turn, my meltas are right up in the face of the enemy tanks, placed precisely where I want and slagging vehicles.

Quand le nouveau Codex des Space marines est sorti, j'étais intrigué par le potentiel de six différents Chapitres dans un livre. Ma curiosité était piquée aussi par l’habileté des Ravenguard de faire un débordement avec toutes les unités de l'armée. J’ai joué à Chaos pendant des années et les Élus étaient une de mes unités préférées puisqu'ils peuvent déborder. J'étais plus enthousiaste quand j'ai vu que les Marines de la Peste peuvent déborder avec Huron dans le nouveau dex de Chaos. C'est donc formidable quand tout peut déborder avec le Ravenguard! Je n'attends plus pour faire une attaque de fuseur des flancs. C'est possible maintenant dès le premier tour.

Getting an army off the ground from nothing is no easy feat. I decided therefore to develop a colour scheme that is quick and easy to reproduce. I started with my airbrush, but after several failed attempts and an airbrush nozzle that kept buggering up, I rediscovered the beauty and simplicity of a tabletop drybrush. Using a wet palette, I created a grey scale gradation from black to white, and drybrushed on the different shades to create a quick and dirty zenithal highlight. To give some contrast with the grainy drybrush, I painted sections of the armour in a simple black with a slight red highlight. The end result is achieved in less than an hour on ten figures and although it won't win any painting awards, it looks decent on the tabletop. Even better, I predict that I will have my army painted in two months, putting in about five hours a week on my hobby. Most of that time will be spent on the modifications and scratchbuilds I'm doing.

Ce n'est pas facile de bâtir une nouvelle armée de rien. J'ai donc choisi une palette de couleurs facile à reproduire. J'ai commencé avec l'aérographe, mais les résultats étaient moches, et le bec a bloqué à plusieurs reprises. J'ai donc essayé une variation de brossage à sec. Avec une palette humide, j'ai produit une dégradation de noir à blanc, et j'ai peint les différentes nuances en lumière zénithale préliminaire. Sur dix figurines, le résultat final était réussi en une heure. Le travail ne gagne pas de concours de peinture, mais c'est suffisamment beau pour jouer avec mes amis. De plus, je crois que l'armée sera toute finie en deux mois, en travaillant cinq heures par semaine (Note de sa blonde: Mouais, c’est plutôt 5 heures par jour! ;-)) La plupart du temps sera passé sur les transformations.

Stay tuned for Fluff updates and lots of pictures. In the meantime, here is the beat stick Chapter Master on bike. Predictably, he never does his 245 points worth of damage but he is an excellent fire magnet as he tears across the battlefield.

Je vais ajouter des mises à jour de Fluff et beaucoup de photos. Pour l'instant, voici le maitre de Chapitre sur une moto. Comme je pouvais m’y attendre, il n'est pas capable de faire 245 points de dégâts avant qu'il ne meurt, mais il est un excellent aimant de tirs.


The techmarine and thunderfire cannon were the first scratchbuilds I finished. They also took the most time although the bikes are turning out to be quite a modeling challenge as well.

J'ai passé la plupart de temps sur le techmarine et son canon thunderfire, et ils étaient les premières figurines que j'ai finies. Les motos sont un grand défi de modelage aussi, par contre.


The thunderfire cannon is based on the chassis of the new Forgeworld tank. I figured I did not have room on my shelf for another massive super heavy, but if I could steal the basic design and miniaturize it in something useful like the thunderfire, well, that would be dandy.

Le canon thunderfire était inspiré du nouveau char d'assaut de forgeworld. Je n'ai pas eu assez d'espace pour un autre super lourd, mais c'était génial de miniaturiser la conception dans un format plus utile, comme le thunderfire.


A friend gave me most of these metal 2nd ed. devastators. I bought another 3 for $1 each. I think they look pretty sweet for an almost free squad.

Ces dévastateurs métaux de la 2e édition étaient un don de mon ami, et j'ai acheté un autre 3 pour 1 $ chacun. Je les trouve très beaux malgré le fait qu'ils sont presque gratuits.




Next: 30 tactical marines
Suivant: 30 marines tactiques

2 comments: